Remember to use Enough Is Enough®℠'s Internet Safety Rules 'N Tools® to protect your kids at every age!
Key principles for all age groups include to:
- Keep lines of communication open
- Create a list of Internet rules with your kids (See Rules 'N Tools® Youth Pledge)
- Set parental controls at the age-appropriate levels and use filtering and monitoring tools as a complement--not a replacement--for parental supervision.
- Supervise all Internet-enabled devices and keep computers in a public area of the home.
- Talk to your kids about healthy sexuality in the event they encounter sexually explicit online pornography at home, school, a friend's house, the library or their mobile device.
- Encourage your kids to come to you if they encounter anything online that makes them feel uncomfortable or threatened. (Stay calm and don't blame your child; otherwise, they won't turn to you in the future for help when they need it.)
- Teach them not to interact with people they don't know offline, because an online predator or cyberbully can disguise him/herself.
- Check the history file on your computer to see which sites your child has accessed.
- Teach your child the golden rule: do unto others as they would have done unto themselves.
Specific Guidelines by Age Groups
Two- to Four-Year-Olds
Five- to Seven-Year-Olds
Eight- to Ten-Year-Olds
Eleven- to Thirteen-Year-Olds
Fourteen- to Eighteen-Year-Olds